Sleep problems, insomnia... Do you have trouble sleeping at night, and you are tired of rolling over several times in your bed? The method called “4-7-8” promises to fall asleep in 60 seconds. Bio à la une wanted to test the effectiveness of this technique. Our journalist Feriel gives you his verdict.



The origin of the “4-7-8” method


It is a technique invented by Dr. Andrew Weil of the American University of Harvard. This yoga- inspired practice does not require any equipment and can be done anywhere. The principle ? Good oxygenation of the brain and more precisely of your nervous system , which will allow you to calm down and relax in record time! According to Dr. Weil, the “4-7-8” technique can help you fall asleep within seconds.


“If 4-7-8 is a powerful method of falling asleep, it is because it provides more oxygen than normal breathing to the parasympathetic nervous system, which is overworked in times of stress. This method therefore makes it possible to quickly reach a state of physiological relaxation. Incidentally, by pushing the mind to concentrate on its breathing, with this 4-7-8 counting system, we think of nothing other than our breath, which avoids thinking about it and rethinking the hassle. of the day, ” says Dr. Andrew Weill.


The steps to follow to succeed in the “4-7-8” method


First of all, try to touch your palate with your tongue. Then, start by inhaling air through your nose while keeping your mouth closed, for 4 seconds. Then voluntarily hold your breath for 7 seconds. And start by exhaling making a noise for 8 seconds. Repeat this operation three times: 4-7-8.


After the theory, it's time for practice!

I have heard several times about this “ magic ” technique that promises to fall asleep in 1 minute. I must admit, at the beginning, I was skeptical, telling myself that it worked especially with exhausted people…

Whereas one day, I had had coffee at the office (although I drink very little), I could not get to sleep in the evening, despite the fatigue. So I decided to test this famous method. I followed the technique to the letter. I repeated the operation 2 times and hardly arrived at the 3rd attempt that I was already in the arms of Morpheus. So it really works! At least for me. Since then, it has been my “SOS sleep ” technique I recommend it to you!


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post